Once you start browsing through Victorian knitting stitch instructions you can find quite a few “diaper” patterns. This does not refer to making babies garments, but to stitch patterns that use knit and purl stitches to make a regular, usually small-scale geometric design–the raised ‘bumps’ of the purl stitches against flat knit stitches form diamonds, triangles, squares, etc. “Damask” and “diaper” also refer to other needlework techniques such as embroidery and weaving–“damask” patterns were usually larger scale and more ornate. Here are 2 examples from Church Embroidery Ancient and Modern, practically illustrated; by Anastasia Dolby; 1867.
Let’s return to knitting a ‘damask’ pattern! Here are the Rows for Day 2 of the Fleurs de Lis for Paris KAL.
11. k2, p1, k1, p8, k5, p4, k4, p3, k4, p4, k5, p8, k1, p1, k2.
12. k3, p1, k8, p5, k4, p4, k3, p4, k4, p5, k8, p1, k3.
13. k2, p1, k1, p7, k7, p2, k5, p3, k5, p2, k7, p7, k1, p1, k2.
14. k3, p1, k7, p7, k2, p5, k3, p5, k2, p7, k7, p1, k3.
15. k2, p1, k1, p7, k2, p2, k4, p1, k4, p5, k4, p1, k4, p2, k2, p7, k1, p1, k2.
16. k3, p1, k7, p2, k2, p4, k1, p4, k5, p4, k1, p4, k2, p2, k7, p1, k3.
17. k2, p1, k1, p8, k1, p2, k9, p5, k9, p2, k1, p8, k1, p1, k2.
18. k3, p1, k8, p1, k2, p9, k5, p9, k2, p1, k8, p1, k3.
19. k2, p1, k1, p10, k7, p2, k2, p3, k2, p2, k7, p10, k1, p1, k2.
20. k3, p1, k10, p7, k2, p2, k3, p2, k2, p7, k10, p1, k3.
Below is a clip that shows you the original Victorian era pattern. Don’t forget that “seam” just means “purl.”
I hope you enjoy this antique pattern and information about Victorian era “Fancywork.”
Please don’t forget that my pattern is Copyright. If you want to share the information please share a LINK to my blog, do not embed or copy & paste the pattern–that’s illegal and just not nice 🙂 I have put many hours into rewriting and knitting these patterns to ensure as few errors as possible; when I find ‘free’ patterns being shared illegally, I change them to ‘paid’ patterns to compensate for all the hours I must spend writing to internet service providers to get the patterns removed.